Tuesday, December 10, 2019

I don't think I've ever talked about this


There's something I've never talked to you guys about.
Actually, I've never talked to anyone about this. I guess I never thought to. I guess I didn't realize how much this effected me. I guess I thought I was ok. You'd think I would be, after twelve years. But the truth is. I'm not. And I don't think I ever will be. You never really "get over" something like this. I don't think you're ever really ok. You just move on. You just live. And it makes you who you are.
Thanksgiving day was a sad day for me. I was lonely. I wanted to be with my family like I'd always been. So I was reading my old posts on this blog, looking back on the good times. And someone asked me why I'm always living in the past.

Why do I cling to the good memories I have? 
Well. here's the answer.
Because when I was seven years old, my grandma died.

This year, I guess you could say I've been grieving Grandma.
the littlest things have triggered waves of lonesomeness. someone would say, "well, nobody's dead." and I'm suddenly super lonely for Grandma. sometimes I would want to rant at those people and explain what it's like to lose your grandma. I don't care that I was seven. I don't care that it was twelve years ago.It still hurts.
She was my grandma. And she wasn't there.
And even though I was young, I knew it. I felt the hole she left just as much as anyone else. From the outside it may have looked like life just went on for me. Like I just started saying "Grandpa's house" instead of "Grandpa and Grandma's" and I hardly noticed she was gone. But believe me. I noticed.
I realize now that I did hurt when Grandma went away. Even if I didn't know I did. I don't think I ever actually cried about it. I forced myself to a few times. But it wasn't till I was much older that I cried real tears, because my grandma wasn't around.

and for twelve years I acted like I was ok. Sure, it sucked. But I don't think I ever really thought about how losing grandma hurt me.
I knew it hurt Grandpa. I knew my mom was hurting. My aunts. My uncles. Even my siblings and cousins. I knew they were all hurting and I hurt with them. But I never let myself hurt for myself. I don't know why I do this. The same thing happened when my cousin and dear friend ran away. I knew she hurt her family. I knew she hurt my siblings. I knew she hurt my cousins. But it took me months to face the fact that she hurt me.
Why did it take twelve years for me to realize I had to grieve Grandma? I don't know. But this year, it hit me. I miss Grandma. I wish she was here. I wish she was here to talk to. I wish I had more memories of her.
When I was alone on Thanksgiving, wishing I was at Grandpa's house, I realized what I really was missing was when it was Grandpa and Grandma's house. When they were in the kitchen running around with their daughters, making us that amazing Thanksgiving dinner, while us kids lay on our bellies on the kitchen floor, coloring books and crayons all around. I don't know how they ever got that meal made without us kids there underfoot, but somehow they did.
That was what I was missing.
I was missing Grandma.
I know that this was all God's plan, even though it hurts.
This has made me who I am. Because of this, I've learned to enjoy the little things. And not just enjoy them. But remember them. Cling to them. Hold on to them, because memories are a gift from God.
I only have a few memories of Grandma, and most of them are from when she was sick and I was afraid of her. I wish I could go back and tell my younger self that I shouldn't try stay away from Grandma. To hug her more. To talk to her more. Because you'll only have her for seven years.
At the time, I was just a kid. I didn't realize that Grandma loved me. Oh, I knew she loved all us grandkids, she made that clear everyday. But I never stopped to think how Grandma loved me. Daminika. Maybe being an aunt now, and seeing my parents be grandparents is what made me think about it. Grandma loved me, on my own. Not just as one of many grandchildren, but as me.
And I loved her. But I don't remember ever telling her.

This is why I like to look back on days gone by. I wouldn't call that living in the past. I call it living. And loving my life. Losing Grandma may have made me more sentimental than the average person, I don't know. But that's not a bad thing.

is it?

16 comments:

  1. This post is like everything I feel. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Daminika, I'm so sorry that you lost someone so important to you. I can't imagine how much it hurts. Our childhood is one of the most important years of our lives, and from the sound of it, she was a big part of yours, it's normal to miss someone so dear.
    It's clear that you love her, and she certainly knew that, friend. <3

    I can't relate to losing a grandparent, mine are still here, but in a way I understand perhaps a bit of your pain. I've never been close to mine, sometimes I question on if my mom's side even cares about us. They're not the best people. I never lost them because I never had them. Growing up, it hurt hearing other kids talk excitedly about their own grandparents, and sometimes it still does. I meet my friend's grandparents and I struggle not to wish that they were mine instead.

    It's hard when someone should be there but they're not, and I'm sorry you have to go through it.
    I'll be praying for you, stay strong. <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Gray. Thank you so much for this sweet comment. It means a lot to me <3
      I am so sorry to hear about your grandparents! That must be so hard! <3

      Delete
  3. This post is similar to what I feel. I lost my grandma almost three years ago and it still hurts, especially around the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ❤️

    I was only 9 years old when she got sick. This year, 12 years since she died, is the first time I've come to the realization that I haven't moved one step pass being that little scared 9 year old girl.
    My childhood was in a way, robbed from me. (I'm not trying to take away from your pain and sorrow, she was your grandma and I know your pain is very real.) Having your mom get sick when you are so young stunts your growth... From 9 to 14 years of age my life was taking care of her. It's supposed to be the other way round but life isn't fair. I didn't get to have her there to complain to, to tell stories to or to ask her advice. I didn't get to go out with friends or have sleepovers.
    There were so many times I looked at her sitting in her wheelchair and all I wanted to do was crawl into her lap and cry and tell her all my troubles but I couldn't because she wasn't strong enough to hear them (or so I thought), she couldn't even talk because of her stoke.
    I try not to think of all the things I missed not having a healthy mom.
    She didn't get to teach me to cook or clean or tell me all her motherly bits of wisdom. I have so many questions that can never be answered.
    Losing someone you love so much is hard. And I don't think you'll ever get over it. The hole in your heart will always be there, it'll never truly heal.
    You learn to live with it... With Jesus, because without Him I don't know how I'd get through one day.
    Love you Daminika! Praying that we all can find peace and healing in our lives and can move on and grow into the person God planned us to be.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Marissa <3 of course you're not taking away from my pain. But she was your mom! Your pain is very much real. Love you, Auntie <3333

      Delete
  5. You made me cry, girl. Hugs! Love you, cousin! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww. <3 I don't know what that's like, never really having lost anyone. That must be hard. I'm glad this life isn't the end! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!